Overseas Doctors wishing to practice in the UK as General Practitioners
The GMC (General
Medical Council) control registration in the UK. The GMC telephone number is
+44 20 79153630 and e-mail address is
Overseas doctors are required to sit the PLAB examination (Professional & Linguistic Assessments Board Test) with the exception of doctors who either qualified:
or who, in addition to their primary overseas medical qualifications, also hold or have
passed all the examinations for one of the following primary medical qualifications:
- in Australia, New Zealand or the West Indies
- at the Universities of Cape Town, Natal or the Witwatersrand in South Africa
- at certain universities in Hong Kong and Singapore where the language of
instruction is English
- at the University of Malaya before 1988
- LRCS England/LRCP London
- LMSSA London
- LRCP Edinburgh/LRCS Edinburgh/LRCPS Glasgow
You may also be required to sit the IELTS (International English Language Testing System).
The JCPTGP (Joint Committee for Postgraduate Training in General Practice)
control the additional regulations involved in the registration of General Practitioners.
Passing PLAB Part 1: A Self Assessment Workbook of Over 1000 Extended Matching Questions, by Peter Kabunga. Foreword by Sir Donald Irvine, former president of the GMC.
© Arboris. Feedback